Tuesday, February 5, 2008

There is no such thing as Auto Digitizing

Well I know I haven't posted in awhile it has been just crazy around our house. The smallest, which my loving husband refers to as "Peel" (Im not sure I like that nickname, I prefer Darlin) has been sick and it has been breathing treatment city around here. I should post some pictures, she is even adorable sick. So I finally got some time and decided I needed to post.

I'm going to make a point to do so at least 3 times a week, I see totally Jeanne is one up on me (and a good one at that) I hear ya sister loud and clear!!!!! I'm totally in!!!! NO MORE ROLL OVER.

So down to business, I want to start sharing some valuable resources, and thought what better place than designs. I'm not sure how many people realize what a painstaking process digitizing for embroidery is. I think we look at those wonderful designs in this world of point and click and copy and paste, or even sketch and draw with the tablet. The point is, I feel that with as much clip art, and paint programs, and digital sketch stuff that there is , we mistakenly think that embroidery would be the same. How far from the truth. The process of turning digital images, scanned images and even vector art into embroidery is just that ........A PROCESS. When you have to consider stitch length, design path, density, size, layers, underlay, color changes, trims, jumps, the list goes on. On top of all of that, the whole design depends on the fabric, not all designs work on every fabric, they have to be digitized for a specific size and fabric. Also, you have to keep in mind that there are many different stitch types, fills, patterns, and that eveything can be laid out perfect, but look horrible if the stitches are going in the wrong direction!!! Whew that's a lot to grasp...... And we haven't even scratched the surface. Thats why a digitizer is worth there weight in Gold. I am learning, I am trying, Im eager, but ......I am NOT calling myself a digitizer...... Yet.

Granted, with new software coming out every day it is improving. But even with so called auto digitizing built in, I have learned the hard way THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AUTODIGITIZING.

1 comment:

NeedleUp Digitizing said...

Boy, if that isn't the honest truth...I don't know what is. We have to educate our customers so they understand that in the "point and click" world we live in, there is no magic button.
Digitizing is a creative blend of artistic ability and technical knowhow. The learning curve is very wide as it takes a considerable amount of time to master. A software will never be able to fully take over for a live human and never be able to be creative. People will always be looking for the shortcut to actually learning the process which is what the auto-digitizing softwares supposedly offer, and they will always fall short on quality.

Hang in there, learn everything you can, watch efficient designs sew. You'll be proud to add digitizer to your list of accomplishments!